R.H.S. Dedicates New Gym
(From 1951 Yearbook)
On November 8, 1951, approximately seventeen hundred were present to see the new gym dedicated.
The program opened with the playing of the "Star Spangled Banner" by the band under the direction of Mr. Fred Webb. Mr. John Holden, Superintendent of the Rockport City Schools, introduced the members of the school board: Mr. Harold Hargis, Mr. Herbert Parsley, and Mrs. Tina Miller. Mr. Herbert Lamb, assistant state superintendent of public instruction and former R.H.S. teacher, gave a brief address concerning the new gym.
Mr. Holden then introduced Mr. John Hill, principal of Rockport High School, who in turn introduced the officials and teams.
Mr. Harold Hargis, president of the school board, presented Mr. R. V. Phillips, Commissioner of the Indiana High School Athletic Association.
Mr. Phillips congratulated the community on having built such a splendid building, which will be of importance to the town as a whole. He admonished the present student body and those to come to "play the game squarely," be a credit to the school, and live up to the ideals which prompted the building of this gym.
In concluding the program, Mr. Holden thanked those who had helped to make the gym possible. He expressed the desire that it be "enjoyed by both the town and the entire student body."