Early Grandview Schools
From 1968 Rockport-Spencer County Sesquicentennial Book
By Ray Lewis Woolfolk
During the Indian uprisings from 1812 to 1815, one of the six Block Houses ordered by the Territorial Governor, was built at the present western boundary of Grandview on land owned by Ezekiel Ray.† It was a strongly built log cabin with loop holes in the sides.† The foundation of this Block House could still be seen in the early 1900ís overlooking the river, at the site of the present Chester Dawson home.
Across the road a log school was built on land donated by Ezekiel Ray and the first teacher was a Thomas Miller.† This structure was used for years until a frame school was built on Vine Street near the original Methodist Church.† The Ray family graveyard was just east of the log school.† In the 1960ís, with the consent of the living descendants in the Grandview neighborhood, the graves and markers were removed to the Grandview Cemetery to make way for a new subdivision by the Grandview Civic Organization.
In 1904-5 a new two-story brick building was added to the three story brick school building built in 1867 and that time the school became a 4-year Commissioned High School, with the first class graduating in 1909.† Later a gymnasium and Home Economic building were added in 1929, but in 1942 the building burned to the ground.† A W. P. A. Barracks was purchased from Tell City for use by the grade pupils; the High School students were transferred to the Rockport and Chrisney High Schools.† A new school building was built in 1949 for the first eight grades, but now with the School Consolidation program, High School students go to South Spencer and the 7th and 8th grades go to the Junior High School, both in Rockport.
From 1912 to 1929 the Grandview Chautauqua Association, formed by the business men of the community conducted a Chautauqua, running for about ten days, usually in August of each year.† At these Chautauquas some of the best speakers of the day, plays, comedy turns and musical groups, both instrumental and vocal performed.† The programs were presented on a large wooden stage under a big top.† Around it in a large circle were smaller tents for campers.† For two years it was held at the old Camp Ground, a grove of large beech trees on the northeast edge of town.† Then, to make it more accessible to the general public, it was removed to the Thurman Grove situated a mile west of town on the E. & O. V. Interurban, where hourly transportation was available with special cars being run before and after the afternoon and evening programs.† Water lines were laid throughout the grounds to a to a number of drinking fountains and hydrants and a large eating tent for the public was placed in the center.† The County wide 8th Grade Commencement exercises were held on one day of the Chautauqua.† After the Depression the Chautauqua was not resumed.