August 2, 2016
The Spencer County Historical Society met on Tuesday, August 2, 2016 in the Rockport Library Genealogy Room.
The meeting was called to order by the president at 6:35 PM with five members present.
The minutes from the last meeting were read. A motion was made and seconded to approve the minutes. The motion carried. The minutes were approved as read.
The treasurer’s report was given.
The secretary read several communications that had been received:
· Note from a member
· HFK Presents - historical portrayal programs for 2016 - 2017
· M.T. Publishing Company, Inc. - beauty of Wabash River Valley Captured for Indiana’s Bicentennial
· Rockport building history questions
· Rockport Journal-Democrat - possible column
· A person’s visit to Rockport Genealogy Room for family research and visit to Sunset Hill Cemetery - Society is mentioned in their will to receive Bess Ehrmann’s books and papers
· Question about jewelry donated in the 1970’s
· Paul Wonning’s books - Indiana Bicentennial History series
· New printer
· Article about Chuck Poehlein’s Lincoln play to be presented at Tell City High School on August 4, 2016
· Honig photo of a Lincoln cabinet
· Letter from a member about New Hope (Grandview & Newtonville) and Grandview cemeteries
The president stated there was going to be a meeting of the Newtonville cemetery board this week and he would present the letter from the member. A member was going to write a letter to him telling about the project the Society was working on concerning the Hammond Township cemeteries.
The president had a letter from Winter & Associates telling about a proposed round-a-bout the state is considering creating at Highway 66 and Orchard Road by the South Spencer High School.
The president had a letter he had written nominating a member for a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Indiana Historical Society. He also mentioned that a member was going to be on a show “Strange Inheritance” concerning the Lincoln mallet.
A motion was made and seconded to adjourn the meeting. The motion carried. The meeting adjourned at 8:38 PM.
The next meeting will be September 6, 2016 at 6:30 PM in the Genealogy Room.